Do with these what you will...
How many times this season have we deemed an upcoming game "the biggest game of the season?" A lot. But seriously, this game, at this point, is. If the Red Bulls want to be in good position for the last remaining trophy this season, they pretty much have to win out. That starts tonight against East-leading Sporting Kansas City in front of what's being called a sellout.
So some things to be aware of going into the weekend...
- As we've covered before, it's win and you're in for the Red Bulls.
- Wilman Conde is out for the rest of the year, tending to a personal issue, and Brandon Barklage is likely done for the season with a foot injury. Lloyd Sam, however, will be available tonight.
- Coming off breaks, the Red Bulls are iffy. When the Red Bulls came back after a 17 day break between August and September, they beat the Columbus Crew 3-1, but the Open Cup/international break in May and June was capped off with a beat down administered by the Chicago Fire in Chicago.
- Tim Cahill didn't mince words the after the Red Bulls second meeting with Sporting, but this week he and Thierry Henry praised SKC Coach (and former MetroStar) Peter Vermes. How testy this evening will get remains to be seen.
- Taking into account friendlies and the U.S. Open Cup final, Sporting hasn't lost in 12 games.
- SKC midfielder Roger Espinoza is listed as Doubtful for the game with a sprained ankle, as per MLSsoccer.com.