First off, wow, who saw 3-0 coming? I certainly didn't. Let's get right into it with the current standings.
|1||New York Red Bulls||56||16||53|
|2||Sporting Kansas City||55||16||45|
|4||Real Salt Lake||53||15||55|
As you can see, it's a really tight race for the Shield in the last week of the season with 4 teams within 3 points of each other. Now, the simplest scenario for the Red Bulls to clinch the shield is to beat visiting Chicago, who may or may not be fighting for their playoff lives depending on how Saturday plays out. While a win clinches the shield for NY, it is possible for them to obtain the #1 overall seed without a win or even a draw. Before I describe how, here's the match-ups for the other three shield contenders.
- 10/23: Real Salt Lake - Chivas USA
- 10/26: Sporting Kansas City - Philadelphia Union
- 10/26: Chivas USA - Portland
- Salt Lake loses or draws with Chivas USA
- Sporting Kansas City loses or draws with Philadelphia
- Portland loses or draws with Chivas USA