Brian Lewis of the New York Post is reporting that the Red Bulls have completed a trade with Montreal for Felipe and the top allocation spot.
Red Bulls to complete a trade w/ Montreal. Oyongo, Alexander & allocation monety for Felipe Martins & top spot in allocation order. #RBNY— Brian Lewis (@NYPost_Lewis) January 27, 2015
My snap judgment is that the Red Bulls gave away too much, but right now there are too many unknowns attached to the deal.
- Losing Alexander hurts because his pairing with Dax McCarty in the center of the midfield provided the catalyst for the Red Bulls to turn the 2014 season around and make a playoff run. He is also versatile and capable of playing virtually every position in the midfield. Is Alexander replaceable? Yes, possibly even by draft pick Leo Stolz, but there's now another question mark in the starting lineup.
- Felipe Martins could be the attacking midfielder the club has been looking for and had his best years in Montreal when Jesse Marsch was the coach. Hopefully he will play in the center of the field where he is more effective as opposed to the left wing.
- Oyongo is reportedly keen on moving to Europe, so one hopes that the Red Bulls were able to negotiate a share of his future transfer fee. Regardless, he was on his way out eventually and the club was able to get some value for him. It hurts to lose his creativity on the wing and now the team is even thinner at the already thin fullback position.
- What is the team going to do with the top allocation spot? This whole trade is a "win" if the Red Bulls are able to sign Sacha Kljestan who would be an upgrade over Alexander. However, the club might have to wait until July to sign him, if they're able to sign him at all. Multiple clubs are interested in him (including the Galaxy). If the Red Bulls are unable to sign him and are forced to trade the top spot to another club , then this trade is a "loss" unless they are able to obtain a starting center back or fill another gaping hole in the roster.
- How much/many allocation money/magic beans was it?
Did the Red Bulls give up too much? Who do you think they will sign with the allocation spot?