clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Stoppage time goal spells defeats for Sky Blue FC

Ordega's goal gives Washinton a 1-0 win despite solid play from Sky Blue

This one hurt the Sky Blue FC as much as last week’s last minute draw lifted their spirits.

A stoppage time goal (sound familiar?) by Francisca Ordega gave the host Washington Spirit (3-2-1) a 1-0 victory over Sky Blue FC in National Women’s Soccer League (NWSL) action in Washington, D.C.

Ordega, who worked hard all night but was offside a handful of times, took a serve from Crystal Dunn and touched it past a charging Brittany Cameron before burying it in the back of the net for the game-winner and a stunned Sky Blue FC (1-3-2).

The Sky Blue, who have struggled offensively all year, deserved better tonight. They controlled play for large stretches; striker Nadia Nadim was able to create some space and was dangerous all night; Maya Hayes played a wonderful defensive game on Dunn – who scored twice in a 3-1 win a few weeks ago.

But they couldn’t find the back of the net.

Goalkeeper Kesley Wys, playing in place of Ashlyn Harris, who in national team camp for the US, was solid all night. She stoned Nadim three times on 1 v. 1 attempts, sliding for one save and swatting two others.

Katy Freels had a few chances to increase her goal output was just wide on a two efforts.

In the 33rd minutes, Nadim got space with a nifty step over move about 20 yards away. The Danish international blasted a shot that Wys tipped over bar.  On the ensuring corner kick, Shawna Gordon lasered a corner kick that ensured. Kristin Grupka got there but couldn’t control.

A few minutes later, Wys blocked a Nadim shot and Grupka again nearly scored on a Gordon corner.

Such was the luck of Sky Blue FC.

Nadim had more chances in the second half. She set up Freels who missed wide and then chased down a service that Wys came out on to diffuse the danger.

The Spirit got slightly more chances in the second half but the backline of Cami Levin, Lindsi Cutshall, Grupka and Hayes were solid in front of Cameron, who only had two tough saves to make on a relatively easy night.

As time wound down, it appeared that both teams would win a point until Ordega took advantage of a well-placed ball and broke the Sky Blue spirits.

This and That:  The Sky Blue had been outshot 78-36 coming into the match. They outshot Washington, 7-2 in opening half…The first half was the first time in five matches that Washington did not score in the opening 45 minutes…. Theresa Diederich made her professional debut in the 75th minute….Maruschka Waldus made her NWSL debut in the 80th minute. The Netherlands native played college ball at the University of Alabama… Sky Blue FC had nine corner kicks…..The match was delayed 30 minutes in the first half because of thunderstorms…Kim DeCesare started in the midfield for Sarah Killion. This was the first game Killion had not played.