clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Match Recap: Late Flash goal puts serious dent in Sky Blue FC playoff hopes

A familiar story for Sky Blue fans: they played well enough to win but didn't get the result.

Sky Blue Photo/Robyn McNeil

This was a defeat that looked all too familiar to the Sky Blue FC fans in 2015.

Another match where Sky Blue wasted opportunity after opportunity to score goals only to see a late goal by an opponent spell defeat for the New Jersey side.

And so it was tonight when Elizabeth Eddy's diving header in the 90th minute pushed the Western New York Flash past Sky Blue FC, 2-1, at Rutgers University's Yurcak Field.

The loss dealt Sky Blue FC what could be a death blow to any playoff hopes. The loss dropped Sky Blue to 3-7-5 (14 points) and kept them in the 8th place in the National Women's Soccer League (NWSL). Western New York moved to 5-7-3 for 18 points. The victory moved them ahead of Portland and Houston.

Eddy scored the game-winner with Lynn Williams, a second half substitute, served a low swerving ball across the goal mouth. Eddy, who also came on in the second half, dove at far post as Cameron could not pick off the service.

For most of the night, Sky Blue FC was in control on the field, if not on the scoreboard. If not for the play of Flash goalkeeper Chantel Jones, Sky Blue may have taken a 3-1 lead in at half time and been able to cruise home. Jones stoned Nadia Nadim twice in the opening half, parrying shots away taken from six yards out.

Jasmyne Spencer was the most dangerous Flash in the opening half. Twice she hit the post on shots after some creative work around the top of the box.

Finally, it was Western New York who took the lead. Lady Andrade, playing her second match for Western New York took advantage of a misplay between the Sky Blue FC defense and goalkeeper Brittany Cameron. A back pass handcuffed Cameron who awkwardly tried to play it out. Andrade picked up the loose ball and one-timed into the empty net in the 34th minute.

The goal was Andrade's first in the NWSL and was one of the few times she touched the ball near the Sky Blue goal.

Kelley O'Hara continued her torrid scoring streak in the 52nd minute to bring Sky Blue FC level. After a Flash corner kick was cleared, O'Hara led a 3 v 1 break with Caitlin Foord on her right and Sam Kerr on her left. She worked a give-and-go with Kerr, receiving the ball just outside the penalty spot and roofing the shot.

The goal seemed to give Sky Blue new energy. O'Hara spent much of the second half owning the right side of the field and worked with Katy Freels to set up several dangerous opportunities.

However, just as in earlier games this season, Sky Blue FC may have had the better chances but it did not add up to a result the home team wanted.

And with a dwindling schedule and too many teams to climb over, time may have run out on the 2015 Sky Blue FC playoff hopes.