clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

League suspends Kaku, two more games

After getting a straight red smashing a ball into the seats at Sporting KC, MLS adds two more games towards Kaku’s suspension

MLS: New York Red Bulls at Sporting Kansas City
Kaku gets another two games for blasting ball into the stands.
Peter G. Aiken

The news came out this Wednesday as everyone was waiting with baited breath, to see what additional games Kaku was going to get added after his blast that hit a Sporting Kansas City supporter along the far side of the stadium.

Well as the MLS Discipline Committiee waited for the last weekend to finish, and serving his red card suspension at the New England Revolution, they have decided to add an additional two games and an undisclosed fine, which means he will miss the next two home matches against FC Cincinnati and against the Los Angeles Galaxy.

As we go back to Sunday night, April 14th the Red bulls and Sporting Kansas City were involved in a exciting competitive match, as the score line was level at two goals a piece. After Sporting KC nailed the post inside second half stoppage time to try and retake the lead, the Red Bulls were looking to make a big attacking run.

The visitors were trying to play the ball quickly, as Kaku was waiting for the ball along the far side touch line. When the pass was blocked by a defender and went out for a throw in, Kaku showed his frustration and saw a ball rolling towards him and tried to slam it into the ad boards.

But unfortunately, he kicked the ball too hard and lifted it over the wall of the first row, and struck a fan. Both sides got together and then it was handbags at five paces, after everything calmed down, it was referee Robert Sibiga that showed Kaku the straight red card and sent him off.

Many felt that the league was going to give Kaku a lengthy suspension, as well as a heavy fine, yet the league issued him a two match suspension after serving his red card for one match. I believe it was due to the fact that Kaku quickly showed remorse as he was walking back to the tunnel.

You knew the cameras inside Children’s Mercy Park were showing him on their jumbotrons, and as he was walking off, you saw Kaku hold up his right hand in the air for an apology, with his left hand touching his chest. The international sign of “My Fault” was shown and he quickly took to social media to continue his apologies on the incident he created, once the match was over.

After the Disciplinary Committee gave their result to add two more games to the suspension, he went back to social media to continue his apologies.

Was there a possibility that he was going to get more than just two games, yes it was, but to see him being so remorseful towards that situation he created, I believe the league saw how sad he was on the situation he created.

As we also remember when the final whistle blew, the entire club walked over to the midfield stripe and went to visit the fan who took the brunt of the shot and expressed their apologies for the incident that happened.

Hopefully this situation never happens again and we can already see that Kaku has learned his lesson. Let’s hope this type of situation never happens again, because the punishment will definitely be a lot worse.