clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

NYCFC get revenge in the Hudson River Derby

The Red Bulls scored first but were then dominated by NYCFC.

MLS: New York Red Bulls at New York City FC
Michael Murillo and Ronald Matarrita square up to one another in second half stoppage time.
Wendell Cruz-USA TODAY Sports

NEW YORK – After a huge three points on the road, the New York Red Bulls fell in a Hudson River Derby that tilted from red to blue over the course of the first half. After a topsy-turvy 90 minutes, NYCFC took the match by a final score of two goals to one.

The opening goal came in the 10th minute, as the Red Bulls gained an advantage off a misplayed ball and turned it into a big opener. After Valentine Castellanos gave the ball away, Cristian Casserers Jr. slipped a pass to Alex Muyl, who did a quick give-and-go with Kaku before blasting the near-post finish past NYCFC goalkeeper Sean Johnson.

But NYCFC quickly turned it on after that, with striker Heber nailing the crossbar and several shots on goal from Castellanos and others that forced sprawling saves from Luis Robles, Then, in the 42nd minute, referee Kevin Stott pointed to the spot in a moment that changed the match.

As Michael Murillo attempted to challenge Maxi Moralez in the box, he put his arms on the back of the Argentine, who went down in a heap. Moralez then slammed the ball past Robles on the spot kick and the score was level.

The deciding goal came in the 53rd minute, when Anton Tinnerholm slotted a ball through Aaron Long’s legs and Heber megged Luis Robles with a flashy flick.

The goal was one part of a larger second half where the Red Bulls were on their heels, trying and failing to link up, unable to get a solid shot on frame until the introduction of new signing Josh Sims.

“You saw how the game went,” Sims said. “They were slowing the game down. We were trying to speed it up… trying to get that goal. I tried to come on and speed the game up, do what I do best and get at the defense. I think I did that at times, but we just couldn’t get that second goal.”

Murillo and NYCFC’s Ronald Matarrita got in one another’s face after the whistle was blown in second half stoppage time. Murillo may have provoked Matarrita, but, to his credit, he kept his cool while Matarrita delivered a headbutt to his chest. Stott originally missed the incident, but later gave Matarrita a red after reviewing the play.

It wasn’t the only crazy moment in the match. In the 31st minute, Alex Muyl was bloodied after NYCFC captain Alexander Ring shoved Muyl into the electronic ad boards. It did not seem too malicious, but Muyl got up and showed his hands which were cut and dripping blood. Stott only showed a yellow for the challenge.

The Red Bulls as a whole walked out of Yankee Stadium with a hurt feeling. It wasn’t the end that they wanted to a busy week, and the result will force another must-win at home when the Colorado Rapids come to Red Bull Arena on August 31.