One of the distinguishing characteristics of MLS media coverage and fan chat is a recurring interest in match-day attendances. In some cases, that is celebration of sold-out stadia; often, it is lamentation of empty seats.
The New York Red Bulls get more than their share of the latter sort of scrutiny - and that’s fair enough: if empty-seats chat is your thing, have at it.
But Once A Metro is more interested in those who are at RBNY games than those who are not.
Photographer Matthew Stith was at the Red Bulls’ 2017 MLS home opener. And these shots from the match against Colorado Rapids focus on the fans who were in the stands for RBNY’s first home game of the new league campaign.
Also, it was cold; very, very cold.
Catch more of Matthew’s work on Instagram or his website (where you will find some great shots of RBNY’s MLS season-opener in Atanta).
- The South Ward raises its scarves Matthew Stith
- Lined up in the cold Matthew Stith
- The South Ward raises its first tifo of 2017 Matthew Stith
- The South Ward is ready for kick-off Matthew Stith
- Game on! Matthew Stith
- That home-opener feeling Matthew Stith
- Aaron Long (33) in his first game at Red Bull Arena as a starter for RBNY in MLS Matthew Stith
- One way to stay warm: stay active, get the flag out Matthew Stith
- Wrapped up and ready Matthew Stith
- GOOOOOAALLLLL!!! Matthew Stith
- Point of Information: clapping is a renewable heat source Matthew Stith
- Nice weather for Vikings Matthew Stith
- 142: Luis Robles’ MLS record for consecutive regular-season appearances Matthew Stith
- TFW when you know your team is going to win Matthew Stith
- Banners out for MLS 2017 Matthew Stith
- Brave decision, sir Matthew Stith
- Strength (and warmth) in numbers Matthew Stith
- Not a big crowd, but a happy one: RBNY beat Colorado Rapids, 1-0 Matthew Stith
- It was a cold open for RBNY’s 2017 MLS home schedule Matthew Stith