The New York Red Bulls game against Real Salt Lake on March 25, 2017, is destined to be quickly forgotten. Scoreless draws in the early stages of the MLS regular season are rarely of any great significance to a team’s progress.
This 0-0 draw, however, deserves to be remembered perhaps for one thing: it was Tyler Adams’ first MLS start of 2017, and arguably his best performance yet for the RBNY first team.
The Red Bulls Academy product has long been considered a top-prospect for RBNY, and has latterly been celebrated as one of the more promising youth internationals in the US Men’s National Team pipeline. And on March 25 in a forgettable game against RSL, he showed a small crowd at Red Bull Arena what the fuss has been about.
Fortunately, photographer Matthew Stith was also at RBA, and got a few shots of what might come to be thought of as the day Adams showed his full potential to MLS fans.
- Just another lightly-attended, early-season RBNY game Matthew Stith
- Ready for the game Matthew Stith
- Luis Robles takes the armband for RBNY vs RSL Matthew Stith
- Tyler Adams in the starting lineup! Matthew Stith
- Not nearly enough people present to support the number who will later claim to have been at RBA for Tyler Adams’ first MLS start of 2017 Matthew Stith
- It was a frustrating day in front of goal for RBNY Matthew Stith
- A really frustrating day Matthew Stith
- A really, really frustrating day Matthew Stith
- Fouled and frustrated: the story of RBNY’s 0-0 draw with RSL Matthew Stith
- And RSL also found fair ways to stop RBNY’s progress Matthew Stith
- A positive to emerge from a frustrating game: the mature performance of RBNY’s 18-year-old midfielder Tyler Adams Matthew Stith
- Tyler Adams in motion... Matthew Stith
- Freeze! (So we can take a photo of you - thanks, Tyler) Matthew Stith
- Adams takes flight Matthew Stith
- Following celebrated performances for NYRB II in 2016 and the USA U-20s in 2017, the RBNY first team has finally seen what the fuss over Tyler Adams is about Matthew Stith
- Soon to be a familiar sight for RBNY fans? Matthew Stith
- Leave him be, RSL. We saw him first. Matthew Stith
- Just a scoreless draw in the end for RBNY, but those who were there got to see Tyler Adams’ best day in a Red Bulls shirt to date Matthew Stith
- Time to go home and tell your friends what you saw at RBA: a young RBNY midfielder’s breakout MLS performance. Matthew Stith