clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

New York Red Bulls II draw, 2-2, with Ottawa Fury FC

Despite controlling the majority of the game, a late goal denies Wolyniec’s men 3 points

Bill Streicher-USA TODAY Sports

New York Red Bulls II settled for a draw against Ottawa Fury FC on Saturday.

Manager John Wolyniec made four changes to the side that lost against Bethlehem Steel last weekend. Evan Louro replaced Rafael Diaz in goal. Jordan Scarlett and Tim Schmoll started at center back in place of David Abidor and Hassan Ndam who served his one game ban. Justin Bilyeu and David Najem started a right and left back and the midfield pairing of Dan Metzger and Arun Basuljevic remained the same as well. The front four had one change with Brandon Allen replacing Junior Flemmings who joined up with the Jamaican squad for the Caribbean Cup. Douglas Martinez moved to the right side, while Vincent Bezecourt and Florian Valot retained their spots.

NYRB II only carried 5 substitutes on their bench for this game which included Diaz, Abidor, Andrew Tinari, Ethan Kutler and Zeiko Lewis.

NYRB II started off the game well, but they found themselves behind just 10 minutes into the game. NYRB II failed to clear a corner and Tucker Hume’s cross found Ryan Williams and his volley put Ottawa up 1-0.

NYRB II responded to the goal and had two chances to equalize. Valot’s cross found the head of Allen, but he couldn’t direct his effort on target. Minutes later Schmoll’s layoff from a corner found Scarlett, but his effort was saved by Ottawa goalie Callum Irving.

NYRB II continued to remain in control for most of the half and Wolyniec made his first substitution in the 37th minute as he sent on Lewis for Martinez.

Ottawa came close to doubling their advantage in the 49th minute as Williams hit the top of the crossbar with his free kick from 30 yards out.

NYRB II continued to push forward and came close to tying up the score in the 55th minute. Bezecourt’s cross from the free kick was headed on target by Valot, but Irving made a great save to deny him and Schmoll’s follow-up went over the bar.

The pressure from the Red Bulls would pay off when they tied the game in the 61st minute. Bilyeu was played in behind the defense and sent a low cross which found Lewis and he blasted it into the top corner.

Wolyniec’s men would take the lead just a minute later. Bezecourt played Allen in behind the defense and the striker made no mistake and rolled the ball past Irving to give NYRB II the lead.

NYRB II tried to preserve the lead and Wolyniec sent on Tinari for Bezecourt and Abidor for Valot for a more defensive approach.

Ottawa had another good chance from a set piece and Williams sent his free kick just over the bar.

Ottawa would continue to push for an equalizer and found it with one of the last kicks of the game. Carl Haworth swung in a corner and it found the head of the unmarked Jamar Dixon who beat Louro to tie the game.

NYRB II will look to rebound and in their next game against St. Louis FC when they travel back to Montclair St. University. The game will be on Sunday, July 2, at 4:00 pm.