New York Red Bulls’ 2-0 win over D.C. United on April 15 was the team’s first big rivalry game of 2017. Photographer Matthew Stith was at Red Bull Arena for the occasion, and also outside it - following the RBNY Supporters’ Groups march to the match.
It’s not much of a rivalry if the fans aren’t into it. Fortunately, the fans were very clearly into it. Presented here are a few images of those fans from before, during, and after the game: a small tribute to their passion, dedication to RBNY, and hatred for DC United.
If you want to get to know the Red Bulls Supporters’ Groups - check out their respective websites: Empire Supporters Club, Viking Army, and Garden State Ultras. Or look for the red smoke rising on game-day on the bridge that connects Newark to Harrison.
- Game day in Harrison. Looks quiet. Matthew Stith
- Maybe it’s not so quiet. Matthew Stith
- OK, not quiet at all. Matthew Stith
- Drums are out. Matthew Stith
- They brought a little red with them Matthew Stith
- There are fans in there somewhere - promise Matthew Stith
- Told you there were fans in there Matthew Stith
- I think they are expressing the view that D.C. United is not to their taste Matthew Stith
- Looks like everyone made it across the bridge Matthew Stith
- There are, of course, other modes fandom available Matthew Stith
- One way or another, everyone’s headed to the same place: Red Bull Arena Matthew Stith
- “Brad, you have no idea what I had to get through to be here” Matthew Stith